Thursday, January 24, 2013

Late Art 220 Day 4

This is the re-uploaded (because I never noticed the first post didn’t go through) Day 4 post.  Sabbatical. Usually when I heard that word used in movies or TV, the ever so common joke “You got fired huh?” followed behind. So listening to  a 17  minute lecture as to why it benefits was pretty newfangled . But, what got me thinking wasn’t so much about the sabbatical, rather the idea that as designers and artist we sometimes need to get out and press restart.
It’s common knowledge that when working on something it’s good to step out and take a breather, engage in something else, and return with hopefully some fresh perspective. But I then started to wonder about the bigger picture. I noticed that sometimes I find myself in lulls. Creating or drawing the same old things, or only looking at, and getting inspired by the same old things. While, I do often venture out and try to learn as much about as many new things that can hopefully influence me for the better. I am always trying to better myself, and retain as much as I can, so that I can use it for the future. But I wondered if this tactic (while ideal) will eventually burn me out?
So I got to thinking, is trying to push your creativity to the edge every second a positive or a negative force? Does maybe stopping for a bit and relaxing in your mind, a good thing too? Will giving yourself a break allow you to better yourself? I am not sure.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment